As the new school year approaches, the manic school runs, last minute homework and unexpected spelling tests are out of our control, but as parents, we can provide our children with all the tools they need to keep their health in check. With optimum baseline nutrition, we can look to strengthen their immune defences and gear up their brains ready for the new term ahead!
- Eat the Rainbow: fill their diet with
the widest variety of fruit and vegetables (mainly vegetables) of different
colours. Aim for x7-9 portions of different types per day to maximise their
nutrient intake, to support the health of every system in their body. Try
sneaking in some fruit and vegetables into smoothies, soups, stews and tomato
- Incorporate choline rich foods: choline is a key substrate for the neurotransmitter
acetylcholine which is fundamental to memory and learning. The best food
sources of choline include runny egg yolks (eggs and soldiers!) and sunflower
- Dose up on Omega-3: daily intake of
Omega-3 rich foods to help boost immunity, mood, memory and concentration. Try
sprinkling freshly ground hemp and flaxseeds onto their porridge, adding
walnuts to smoothies and oily fish to homemade fish pies.
- Discover fermented foods: fermented foods,
including kefir and sauerkraut, are great food sources of probiotics. Try
incorporating them into your child’s diet by putting kefir mixed with honey on
top of berries or into smoothies, and putting sauerkraut into pack-lunch
- Regular outdoor exercise and fun for at least 30 minutes per day to increase your children’s wellbeing, vitality and overall resilience, and support endogenous Vitamin d production to strengthen their immune system.
- Targeted supplementation with a specialised children’s multinutrient, omega-3, probiotics and botanical extracts like elderberry, zinc and Vitamin C would optimise their baseline nutrition status immune defences, digestion, and memory, concentration and mood.
Got a question?
The brand you can talk to:
We have a team of Clinical Nutritionists at the end of our advice line, open to you, for product support and advice (5 days a week). 0121 433 8702 or email@example.com
Or head to our advice page where you can find Healthnotes.
Not registered for an account with BioCare®?
You can register now to receive up to date news, product information and exclusive offers whether you are a consumer, practitioner or retailer.